Thanksgiving.... It used to be my very favorite holiday. Let's just tell it straight: I love to eat. I was that girl at the lunch table in middle school that everyone passed their food too when they were full. Because I never really was. I mean, I ate four sandwiches for lunch today. I guess not a lot has changed. :) (In my defense, I'm calorie loading for the half-marathon this weekend. And Mikaiah broke out with this random fever and fell asleep on the couch right before the delicious pizza-grilled sandwiches were done--and I couldn't let hers go to waste. Gluten free bread is expensive. So, I really had no choice. At least that's what I'm telling myself...
Back to Thanksgiving... I used to absolutely adore it. The pies, cranberry relish and turkey, green bean casserole and sweet potatoes, kicking back and enjoying precious time with family. And it is still great in a lot of ways. But being gluten free has taken the shine off it a bit. Not that one cannot create delicious g-free alternatives to most of the wonderful Thanksgiving fare... it's just a lot of work. And another thing: I'm married to a basketball coach. November is one of their busiest times. (Right behind December... January... February... and the all important March. And let's not forget about those team camps in July. Whoever the brilliant mastermind was that created the original basketball season should be given an award. Or shot.) And, to add one more complication to the restful, relaxing atmosphere that is supposed to embody the Thanksgiving holiday... we have three young kiddos. Who are very fun, but who completely disregard the universally-known fact that there should be no disobedience or actions that lead to injury during the week preceding or the actual week of a holiday. I will have to retype that memo for them. Maybe write it in Crayon. Or form the words in play-dough...
So... when I loaded up the kids to spend a fantastic weekend in Dallas with two of my brothers and their families and my parents (we had to leave Daddy at home to kick some tail on the basketball court), I expected the kids to follow all universally known facts. However, that was not the case. They still had some fabulous cousin time despite a few screaming fits, a black eye, and a little bitty scrape on the chin that is now festering and pussy. Fantastic. And I got in a few wonderful conversations when I wasn't talking our two year old off the cliff of yet another crisis. By Sunday afternoon when they were tuckered out from all their play time and all the on the verge of tears, I asked Grandpa to step in and snuggle while I loaded up the car. It was time to evacuate and head home for back up.
The rest of the week actually went very well. We had some wonderful moments with just the five of us balanced with some special time with Brian's parents, Aunt Corrie, and grandparents on both sides of his family. I hate not being able to eat whatever is set in front of us and having to make people go out of their way for our crazy tummies.
And that is why I decided that Thanksgiving is no longer my favorite holiday. Instead, I'm going to choose a day when there are no expectations. We don't have to necessarily travel, we can eat cheese dip all day (because really, is there anything better?) and it isn't during basketball season. When is Columbus Day? The jury is still out, but that is the front runner so far...
Grandpa and Mikaiah helping Jakin, Anna, and Rilla Kate blow out their birthday candles at a little birthday celebration.
Jakin, with two of his favorite cousins, holding his spotascope and sporting a miniscule scrape on his chin that has now grown out of control.
Aunt Corrie entertaining the kiddos on Mimi's IPad.
The little princess who fell asleep before lunch and therefore forced me to eat us out of house and home. She's the one to blame.
5 comments:
shoot shoot shoot! And I forgot their bday! ahhh!! Sorry!
Love ya! Glad to see pics of your kids and hear a bit about your life! Looking forward to some good conversations in Janurary if those dates work for yall?
Christine. Im glad you've learned to stop making promises about blogging more, we all know it'll never happen. I mean, YOU ARE supper woman and all, but something's gotta give & we all know it's not gonna be reading :)
I can totally vouch for your middle school munchies and the continued Love of food ( i'd blame all the training too) but I am sorry you have to adapt your diet SO much! I know you would never say no to a meal item prepared for you if it wasn't absolute necessary for you & Miciah. All those who know you don't mind the trouble either. You're worth it!!!
love'd reading! You truly are a great writer!!!
alaina:)
Your blog posts are so sweet and funny! I love you! Maybe we can work on redeeming Thanksgiving next year...
love it when you update and HATE you for getting to eat so much and stay so skinny. :) And I miss you. We need to get together to comiserate about eating whoas, potty training (or not- we sort of quit), and I need your wisdom on little girls and having basically three babies in my house.
I have a new recipe for gluten free dairy free pumpkin pie if you want it. But I agree with you that food allergies definitely put a crimp in the holiday food fest. Imagine my world where I have to be dairy free, gluten free and soy free for my little one :-((( Not too fun!
Trish
Post a Comment