Thursday, October 22, 2009

I suppose this would fall under "truth"...

And maybe not so much excellent or praiseworthy. (Sticking with the good ol' Phil 4:8 theme...) Monday night Brian spoke at a B'ville basketball FCA costume party. We had things going on in town that night, but I decided to skip them and head up to spend some quality time with Daddy and meet some of the other coaches and wives. Sounds simple enough, right? The kids didn't nap so well, but I left a little early so they could just grab a nap in the car. We got to the party with snacks in our tummies, cute costumes on and happy hearts. The world was good. And then the kids saw Spiderman, who is apparently the modern day equivalent of Freddie Kruger. They were hysterical with fright. I literally had a child in my arms and one frantically clinging to each leg (which actually proved to be quite a challenge to balance in my three inch heels). The hostess quite graciously put all of her other duties on hold and tried to help by distracting my children with food... to no avail. All three frightened children snuggled in my lap while trying to juggle chili and juice. Surprisingly, the only casualty was a Caprisun that found itself wedged underneath a little bottom (it is amazing how far juice will spray when suddenly put under 35 lbs of pressure. I'm sure the hostess would've said something very kind... about how her cabinets, kitchen floor and refrigerator door needed a good scrub down anyway). As students moved throughout the house, we very purposely avoided them, exploring other rooms of the beautiful home. While very fun to see how a Wal-Mart executive lives, the primary reason we were there was to see Daddy and meet some of the other staff members, which definitely was not happening. At one point, Spiderman walked past the door to the room in which we were hiding, causing the kiddos to lunge at me once again. This would not have been a problem had I not been holding a bowl of chili... that went everywhere. (I realize I should NOT have been eating chili on anything other than a tile floor, but it was hard for me to grab bites while trying to comfort.) Once again, the hostess very graciously helped me clean up her couch, carpet, pillows, and Anna's dress (to my utter amazement, my white sweater came out of the night unscathed. It was a miracle.) I did steal away for a moment to hear Daddy speak while the kiddos played with Ms. Melissa and "Baby Wincoln", two of their very favorite people. By the time I got the kids into their jammies, we were the very last people out the door. I'm sure if I would have turned around at that moment, I would've witnessed the hostess let out a huge sigh of relief.
A least I got a few pictures while we were tucked away in a back bedroom. Here's the princess, basketball player, and former fireman.

3 comments:

Adelia said...

Oh, Chris...We've all had those kind of moments. Part of me is laughing and part of me is sympathizing with you, Lady. I often refer to our life and mishaps as the stuff great sitcoms are made of. I have some really good material. :-) Sounds like you do as well.

Meredith Adair said...

what a nightmare!! I'm so sorry! Good for you, though, to make an effort!

Wendy said...

Oh, girl!! You got through the night (without crying, I'm guessing?) and it's all past you now. On the bright side, this kind of thing makes the memories more vivid and entertaining. Everything becomes funny after 10 years, right? ;-)

(we've had a similar Caprisun incident, and I know exactly how far that stuff can travel!)