Friday, December 17, 2010

Dr. Mimi

This is spur of the moment. I am up early... and I had a few extra moments (in between packing, and folding laundry, and putting back together previously puked-on carsteats), so I sat down to read Pioneer Woman while I ate a bowl of cereal. She talked about her Mother in law, which made me think about how fantastic MY mother in law is, so I just have to tell you about her. (Brian has mentioned that lately our blog has merely consisted of tributes to many of the people in my life anyway, so I figured it fit. :) And the fact that he made that comment with a protruding lower lip and sweet, droopy eyes that made me realize that maybe SOMEONE is feeling a little neglected because there hasn't been a blog post specifically about his wonderfulness..... but this morning I'm focusing on the woman who raised him. Sorry babe.)

The kids and I are headed down to Searcy with Mimi today... because she is graduating with her PhD tomorrow!!!!!! She has been taking classes at Harding (which she has totally rocked) and she busted out her dissertation in honestly one of the most concentrated efforts I have ever seen... and she has done it! I am SO PROUD of her. She truly is one of the most brilliant women I have ever met.... but more than that she is one of the hardest working, committed women I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

One of the coolest things about her is that she doesn't do anything half-way. If something is worthy of her effort, then it is going to be excellent. Since she never brags on herself, I'm not exactly sure... but I think I head that her GPA was like... perfect. She is my newest hero. Because not only can she sift through reams of educational data like it's nothing, she's silly enough to have dance parties with my kids.

So I'm loading up my air horn, noisemakers and all the handmade signs. Just kidding. Or maybe not. (I get a real kick making my in-laws think for a second, "Wait... is she serious?? Oh my. Why couldn't Brian have married a quiet girl?!")

To borrow one of Pioneer Woman's favorite sayings, "I love her more than my luggage." Which I've never really understood but still makes me smile... and makes me realize that I need to get back to packing...

4 comments:

Smits Family said...

We need to get stuck in an ice storm with them again :)

Maybe in a few weeks?

Soaring High said...

awww! what a sweet tribute!

Melissa said...

yeah for Mimi!!!! SOOO impressive!!!! :)

Connie said...

Chris you are so sweet. Thank you for the kind words. Also, Pat and Sarah, you are always welcome, ice storm or not.