Saturday, December 18, 2010

"The Worst Mom of the Year Award"

Yesterday morning, I was all fired up to get the kiddos packed, the car packed, get the kids to school, go to Bible study, then head down to Searcy with Mimi. It was going to be a wonderfully full morning.

The kids woke up a little early, and Jakin was whining a bit about his tummy and how he didn't feel well enough to go to school. I've decided to take a pretty hard line when it comes to his whining, so after a little chat, he improved his attitude a little and got dressed for school. (Anna was VERY sick Monday night and vomitted for 3 hours straight and had some other lingering effects for a few days, so I kept her home from school one day. So I was thinking that maybe that was inspiring Jakin's idea.) Well, by the time we were in the preschool hallway, his whining had turned into all out wailing. He was clinging to my leg, wailing about how bad his tummy hurt and how he could not go to school. My balance was a bit precarious (since I was wearing my cute heels for bible study), so when Mikaiah grabbed onto the other leg about to scream out her outrage over Jakin's predicament, I really had to brace myself. Kids were literally poking their heads out of classrooms down the hall to see the spectacle we were making. The preschool director walked over to us and in a kind voice said, "Jakin really does look very pale. The stomach virus is extrememly contagious... so I think it would be a good idea if you took him home."

After he and Mikaiah were strapped into their carseats, I started in on my lecture... "We are only going home because Ms. Joan thought we should and I trust her judgement. But we will do school the ENTIRE morning... You do not get your way when you whine.... " And it was right after that that Jakin started puking all over himself and his car seat. It was at this point that I officially earned "The Worst Mom of the Year Award."

Obviously, we did not get to go to Searcy to cheer Mimi on. I thought about driving down this morning, but am glad I didn't, because the evil virus spread to Mikaiah today. She has it much worse than Jakin did. So were are spending a quiet day, recovering.... Thankfully, all three kids have had it this week so we might be well by Christmas. :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh no! I absolutely hate vomit, and to think you had to clean it up x 3 kids...You should actually have a great mom of the year award! :)
Don't worry, I would have done the same thing with my kids until I actually saw the vomit. :)
I hope you and Brian stay clear of the nasty bug.

Ava said...

Bless your heart! What craziness...I may have cried! I must have missed seeing you that day...or perhaps late to school :)

We'd love to play sometime....
xoxo