Saturday, January 29, 2011

"My Mommy does silly things like this alot"

Monday, the kids and I had to make a quick run into Walmart. Normally, I go for the "Mack Truck Carts" (the huge carts with the extra 2 seats attached, always make me feel as if I'm trying to steer a Semi down a crowded, one lane, windy, country road). Unfortunaly, since they are quite the hot commodity among Mamas with lots of young kiddos, they were all taken. No worries, I just had a few things on my list... so I loaded a few kiddos into the back of the cart, had one hanging on the side and started filling up the little front section. (Even though the kiddos are pretty great out and about, my Walmart rule is that they must either be in the cart or touching it somehow at all times. Works well for us.) As you can imagine, that little front section filled up pretty quickly as we were nearing the end of our list. I was trying to rearrange and squeeze things in (not just groceries, but kids as well, since apparently the little bars of the cart are capable of gouging into limbs and rendering them useless unless bodies are moved around every few minutes or so...) On the final aisle, I had to move the spaghetti sauce so I could fit in a gallon of milk, when all of a sudden, the jar somehow managed to squeeze through an opening, plummet to the ground and shatter. Glass and spaghetti sauce were everywhere. All over the floor, my shoes, my jeans.... Thankfully, none reached the kids since at that very moment they had all chosen to obey and stay in their spots. I flagged down a very gracious associate who had to close down the aisle, help me clean up myself (because I had tried on my own and had just managed to spread more aromatic red sauce in the process), and alert others to come mop and clean up all the glass. When another associate walked up, Anna just shook her head and said, "My Mommy does silly things like this alot." That made me laugh out loud because unfortunately, she is correct. In the course of our daily adventures, I seem to invite mishaps that are unique to me. At least it keeps life interesting.

Other than that, this week has been wonderful (aside from the fact that Anna reminds me to be careful anytime I pick up a glass container. I have reminded her that I am quite responsible. To which she simply responds with a skeptical look. Seriously.) We've had some great friend time and some fantastic outdoor playtime since the weather has been unseasonably warm these last few days.

Beautiful weather seems to bring out the best in my kids. We've played at the park, in the backyard, gone for walks (but somehow left the camera at home every time...). There just hasn't been any time for unhappiness. Except for today. (In their defense, we played through naps yesterday and bedtime was VERY late since we watched Daddy's basketball game. A HUGE win over Rogers. Go Tigers!) When I tucked my three sweet angels to bed last night, apparently three hormonal teenagers arose from the bowels of their bedroom by this morning. My normally kind, respectful children were bickering and talking quite sassy to me, if I do say so myself. (I tried to peek underneath the covers after breakfast to see where these three strangers hid my adorable children, but they were no where to be found.) So, after about the 20th time I heard someone talk back to me, I decided it was time to go back to bed. And I put on a pot of coffee for myself. And decided to peruse gluten-free blogs. Because in the middle of our sassy morning, I made g-free dinner rolls that were a complete failure. However, I think I found a great recipe that I'm going to experiment with tonight. It kind of makes me want to start a gluten-free cooking blog. If only I was a great photographer. Or blogged consistenly. Oh dear. I mean, if I were to become the next Pioneer Woman (minus the gluten, and ranching, and homeschooling....), the obscene popularity could really get annoying. It's best to just stay the way I am. And scatter jars of cheese whiz in relative obscurity. But that's a whole other story...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are so fun! I love the stories. =)

Unknown said...

I can definitely hear Anna saying that. AND reminding you to be careful around glass. Love you, love your blog, can't wait to see you when I get back!

Wendy said...

Chris, you AND your kids are fantastically funny. And, Hon, you are not alone. But our last Wal-Mart disaster did not include spaghetti sauce...I only wish that were the case. ;/ Bleh. Pooping in the middle of a WMart food aisle was not Oli's best idea ever. Too many raisins for that boy...

Anyway, I feel your pain.

Oh, and Isabelle always supervises me with knives now. ;)