The following conversation took place tonight at dinner. We were eating out with Brian's parents. Jakin thought Mimi's rings were really cool:
Brian: "Jakin, you can have a ring of your own someday when you win a state championship. I'll show you my state championship ring. It's really neat. Or, you could win a national championship."
(At this moment, I began to worry about the psychological implications this conversation could have in my sweet son's life. Would he be devastated if he didn't excel at basketball and feel like he let Daddy down? I knew Brian would love him no matter what he chose, so I decided to intervene to lessen the pressure and avoid the disastrous conversations this could bring about in Jakin's teenage years...)
Me: "Or, Jakin, you can get a ring when you get married someday."
Brian: (Who was kind of staring me down at this point, repeated his earlier statement.) "You can get a really cool ring if you win a state championship."
Jakin: As if he hadn't even heard any of what we said, sweetly asked, "Daddy, when we get home, will you dance with me to boys' songs?" Then he broke into an original tune he had apparently just made up about spiderman, while his little body swayed happily back and forth.
3 comments:
Love it! Sounds like the same conversations we'll be having with Joey. As much as Joey loves to play basketball and wrestle, he still loves to play princesses and dolls with his cousins. I think it's a good balance. :)
That's great about Makaiah!
adorable!! Oh how I wish I could get inside the mind of a child :)
Awwww, he's such a cutie!!
And that husband of yours! My goodness, what a rascal. ;-)
Post a Comment