Friday, March 27, 2009

Manners vs. Honesty

The other night we were guests in someone's home for dinner and the following conversation took place:

Anna: "Mommy, can I have more chips please?"
Me: "You need to eat two more bites of food before you have more chips."
Anna: (In a very loud voice) "But I don't like it!!"
Me: (As I immediately try to quiet her down...) "It's not polite to say that out loud to our hostess. Just eat around the things you don't like. Now, I want you to thank Ms. Judy for this wonderful meal and apologize for saying that you don't like it."
Anna: (In a very sweet voice) "Ms. Judy, thank for you this wonderful meal. I'm sorry I don't like it!"

I was so embarrassed! Thank goodness this couple from our church is the sweetest couple ever and has grandchildren--so they got a kick out of it! They had a good point--at least she's learning from our honesty lessons. :)

2 comments:

Meredith Adair said...

That Anna is so funny! I love the stories about her.

Wendy said...

Hee hee...aren't sweet older couples great? They've already been there, and they usually understand!
Your kids are adorably funny!