Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hello. My name is Christine. And I am high maintenance.

"High maintenance". Never a title I ever wanted to have. (I mean, of course I've always been a little high maintenance emotionally, but only Brian gets to see that wonderful side. And Karen Kingsbury. But let's be honest, she just kind of fuels the fire...) I always tried to be one of those people who is a little more "go with the flow". I'm not really sure why that is, (I don't feel like probing too deeply into the intricacies of family dynamics, birth order, or adolescent psychology) I just know that my entire life I've had friends who have been picky eaters and I've always thought to myself, "Not me. I'll eat whatever anyone puts in front of me." Until now. It was a wonderful yet somewhat sad day when I realized that if I cut gluten out of my diet, I would feel amazingly better. Many of you know that Mikaiah was sick throughout the winter with one type of "stomach virus" or another until the day we realized that she may have Celiac. My mom has Celiac and Brian's grandfather had Celiac-Sprew, so it was a definite possibility. We removed gluten from her diet and it was a miraculous change. She started sleeping again, gained weight and was the happy, healthy baby we remembered. Well, the interesting thing is throughout that whole process, I was really sick, too. People assured me that is was the stress of having three little ones and a sick baby all the time, but I didn't really feel that stressed, so that just didn't make sense to me. Finally, one day, a very sweet neighbor simply said, "What if you have what Mikaiah has?" That was a completely new thought! How could I all of a sudden just develop a gluten intolerance?! I was the one growing up who ate anything and everything! But, I figured that I might as well see what life was like without gluten. It worked for Mikaiah.... and it worked wonders for me. Apparently, you can develop a gluten intolerance at any point in life. Especially if it runs in your family and your body has experienced significant changes (like having kids...). I'm still doing research, but for now, all I know is that I feel wonderful. And I'm gluten-free. It has been a hard transition in that I've had to drastically change how I cook and grocery shop. But it has also been easy, because why would I want to eat something that makes me sick? Even if it is the most delicious, gooey cinnamon roll I've ever seen with butter and icing dripping off the sides and huge, chunky nuts on top? (Well, that may be worth being sick all day...really--you have to choose your battles.) The fun thing is that I'm learning to experiment with fun new flours and different recipes. The bad thing is that if I bring you a meal, it will probably contain rice or potatoes. And no yummy rolls. So if we get together for dinner, please don't be offended if I pass on your very delicious pasta dish and fill up on the side of broccoli instead. I'm now high-maintenance.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you crack me up! i think you are low-maintenance enough in the rest of your life that this gluten thing just pushes you up to medium-maintenance, not quite high. when you start getting up hours early to do your hair, make-up, and pick out the right pair of heels to wear as you chase your kids around all day, then we'll consider upgrading you! i want to talk! it's been WAY too long!!!

Wendy said...

Okay, you are now officially the second family I know who is gluten-free. I'm so glad you found the cure to the issues! YEA for feeling great! (Was this dietary change before or after the triathlon??)

After thinking through this for a few weeks, I'm wondering if the change could help us (or one of us) also. No, we're not sick. But we have one darling "high-maintenance child" who seems to have a hard time coping with easy, daily things. I've heard that gluten issues can affect moods and personality as well as causing sickness and failure to thrive. It's funny-- once something like that pops into my head, I seem to see signs everywhere pointing in that direction.

How long were you on "the diet" before you noticed improvement? It might be worth a temporary change in our shopping/ cooking to see if it yields any results...

Hannah said...

I know it can be hard to cut out gluten...since almost everything yummy has gluten in it! Scott and I have a bit of a gluten intolerance too. I think that many people do and just don't know it. I also experiment will all kinds of flours and ingredients. I have lots of great recipes. I should share them with you!

Adelia said...

There is a new g-free recipe site coming out in August! I will send out the link!! I'm excited about the knowledge and resources that are now available to all the families that have this challenge. Also, excited about debunking the idea that g-free means it's not tasty. Not true at all. We just enjoyed a yummy g-free lasagna. Slightly different yet still inviting! :)

And I would like to echo, You are not high-maintenance. If you would like to be bumped up the maintenance ladder, indeed, let's go with medium maintenance.

I'm so glad you are feeling better!!!!!! :-D

Lauren said...

Bummer!! I have 2 friends who have Celiac. They are married (what are the chances!) and he found out at about 28 and she found out a few months ago, she is 30. It has changed their lives to cut out gluten. I hope you can stay encouraged. Send me some recipes if you find some good ones. I'm always strapped when it comes to making a meal for them.
I'm glad you are feeling better!
Lauren

Amber Coats said...

i'm recommending you move to australia. in every bakery/coffee shop we went into there was gluten free options. and assuming moving isn't an option, talk to rachel melby!

liasmomma said...

You and me both Christine. And I'm like you in that I didn't find out abt. my dairy allergy and also gluten sensitivity till I was thirty. But I've been doing the dairy free/gluten free thing for probably seven years now and I feel so much better. But I TOTALLY understand the great sadness in having to pass up so many yummy, gluten filled desserts. My favorite dessert is cheesecake - a huge no non for both dairy and gluten. So I feel your pain!!!! The only bummer for gluten free shopping is that it's harder to find (but getting easier all the time) and it's more expensive. But I have lots of good recipes if you ever want to share. Did I tell you my baby from China is also allergic to dairy and gluten (and some soy). God knew what He was doing when He placed her in our family :)