Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Have we created a diva??

Yesterday after preschool, Anna and I had this conversation at lunch:

Anna: I told all the girls in the bathroom today that I'm cute.
Me: (Trying to clarify, hoping I didn't hear what I thought I heard and all of a sudden flashing forward to Anna's high school years, trying to prevent her from becoming "that girl" that no one can stand. You know the one. She really is beautiful, but so stinking full of herself that you can hardly stand her. And she wears all the cutest clothes and can pull off any style. Even that obscure line of fragrances that GAP came out with in the late 90s. Did guys really go crazy because she smelled like fresh cut grass? Really?? Could I have mowed my lawn before school, rolled in it a bit and gotten as much attention? Perhaps, but only because they would've been laughing at the grass stains all over my uniform, not because they thought the smell complimented my exotic looks... Wait... maybe those are my issues... and don't really apply in this situation at all... but I still ask, just to be sure...) You told them that you thought they were cute?
Anna: No! I told them that I was cute!
Me: Anna, it isn't really polite to tell people that you think you're cute. Maybe next time you could point out something nice about them instead of talking about yourself.
Anna: But I am cute!!

And I am left with the dilemma of trying to build their self-confidence and uphold the truth while teaching them grace and humility. And just now remembering why the smell of fresh cut grass still turns my stomach a bit.

8 comments:

Smits Family said...

hahah! I preffered "Heaven" :) Well borrowing my friends who actually bought it :)

You inspired me to do a post finally!

Love ya!

Michelle said...

I had totally forgotten about that horrible grass fragrance until you brought it up! :) I think I may have had that at one time...
I agree that Anna is cute...but it is a dilemma as to how to approach that! :)

Michelle said...

And, Sarah, it is about time you did a post!

Abby said...

LOL. That's pretty cute! Out of the mouths of babes, right?

Kelley said...

yes I'm running in a couple of weekends! are you?? Oh so fun! We'll have to meet up!!! I'm doing the half!!

Wendy said...

Heck, she is cute. And she will realize, all too soon, that she needs to stay in line with social conduct rules. Really, it won't be long until she starts getting self-conscious about things. For now, I say let her tell the world how cute she is!

Btw, I had Grass. ;-)

Amy said...

Too funny. I think I still have some "heaven".

Meredith Adair said...

I think you should have a column in a paper or magazine about your adventures with your kids!! :)

I actually never had Heaven, but that was my favorite. I think Krista had it, and I thought that she was pretty cool!